Effective Date: October 20, 2022
Last Reviewed On: October 19, 2022
- We added more information about our use of Google Analytics and Google Signals.
- We added a section about the retention of our Personal Information.
- We added three new sections that relate to our SMS terms of service:
- Electronic Communications
- Text Messaging Terms and Conditions
- Mobile Terms and Conditions
- We clarified how you can opt out of text/SMS communications from our different brands.
- on our websites (nationalvision.com, americasbest.com, eyeglassworld.com, findvistaoptical.com, discountglasses.com, discountcontactlenses.com, aclens.com, militaryoptical.com) (our “Websites”),
- through the services and products we provide,
- from third-party health care providers for whom we provide management or administrative services,
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and us, and
- any other way we may collect or receive information about you.
What Personal Information Do We Collect (and How Do We Collect It)?
We collect several types of Personal Information from and about the users of our Websites. “Personal Information” refers to any information about you which identifies you, by which you can be personally identified, or about your Internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Websites, and usage details. We collect or obtain the following categories of Personal Information about you. Please see “How Do We Use and Share Personal Information?” for more information about why we collect the categories of information below.
We collect information like your name, postal and email address, phone number(s), and other identifiers when you make an appointment with one of the independent optometric or ophthalmologic practices (collectively, the “Practices”) through our Websites or at our locations, purchase products or services from us or from our third-party service providers, or communicate with us, in order to provide and improve our Services, communicate with you, and for the other business purposes listed below.
We may automatically collect your Internet Protocol address when you visit the Websites to improve our Services and communications. Please see “More About Cookies”, below.
B. Personal Information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).
We collect your name, address, telephone number(s), credit or debit card number, other financial information, medical information, and health insurance information when you make an appointment with one of the Practices or initiate a transaction with us, to provide our Services, and for the other business purposes listed below. We may also collect your contact details when you communicate with us.
C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
We collect your prescription information when you use our services. We may also collect your gender, age, and marital status in order to improve our product offerings and marketing communications and for the other business purposes listed below.
D. Commercial information.
We collect your transaction history and other information about your purchasing history in order to improve our product offerings and for the other business purposes listed below.
E. Biometric information.
We may obtain your biometric information, including retinal images when you obtain eye care services at one of our locations. We also may collect facial geometry when you use our virtual try-on Services on our Websites. We may use this information to provide you health care services and products, to improve our Services, and for other business purposes listed below.
F. Internet or other similar network activity.
We collect information about visitors to our Websites, including how visitors search for our Services and interact with our Websites, applications, or advertisements on our Websites, to improve our communications and Services, and for the other business purposes listed below.
G. Email Interconnectivity
If you receive email from us, we and our third-party service providers use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains, and make purchases.
H. Geolocation data.
We collect and use generalized location information to improve our product offerings and for the other business purposes listed below.
I. Sensory data.
We do not collect this type of information.
J. Professional or employment-related information.
When you apply for employment with us, we may collect current or past job history or performance evaluations.
K. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).
We do not collect this type of information.
L. Inferences drawn from other Personal Information.
We collect information about preferences, characteristics, and trends in order to improve our Services, to communicate with you, for marketing communications, and for the other business purposes listed below.
Non-Personal Information Collected
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information that does not identify and cannot reasonably be linked to an individual or a household.
- Information excluded from the California Consumer Privacy Act’s (“CCPA”) scope, like health or medical information covered by HIPAA and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (“CMIA”) or clinical trial data (please see our HIPAA Notice for more detail about the privacy of and your rights related to your health information); and
- Personal Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FRCA”), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (“FIPA”), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Sources of Personal Information
We obtain all of the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase, including when you make appointments with a Practice or purchase products from our Websites or in our stores.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Websites using cookies or through your interactions with email communications from us.
- From third-party service providers. For example, we obtain demographic data from third-party service providers to use for marketing analytics.
More About Cookies
We and our third-party service providers automatically collect statistics from your browser, email interactions with us, or device on site usage patterns and your preferences through cookies, web logs, web beacons, and third-party service providers. This information may include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, device ID and type, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the operating system used by your device, date/time stamp, your mobile device's geographic location, and/or clickstream data.
We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. We use session ID cookies to allow visitors to easily navigate during checkout and access their account information. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. We use a persistent cookie to welcome visitors returning to the site and to associate appropriate advertisements for our visitors.
Most Internet browsers allow you to disable, turn the cookie feature off, or reject cookies entirely by changing the settings on your Internet browser. Changing these settings may affect your ability to use certain features and functions of the Websites. Without a session ID cookie, your ability to complete a purchase and checkout will be limited.
If you are accessing our Websites on your mobile device, we may use mobile device IDs (the unique identifier assigned to a device by the manufacturer) or Advertising IDs (for iOS 6 and later), instead of cookies, to recognize you. We do this to store your preferences and track your use of our Websites. Unlike cookies, device IDs cannot be deleted, but Advertising IDs can be reset in 'Settings' on your iPhone.
You may interact with content on our Websites through social media plugins provided by Facebook, Twitter, Google and LinkedIn. We do not control the information that these companies collect when you choose to use their social media tools, whether through cookies or otherwise, nor do we control how these companies use any information they collect. We encourage you to review their privacy policies before interacting with these social media tools.
How Do We Use and Share Personal Information?
We may use or disclose the Personal Information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which you provided the information. For example, when you schedule an appointment with one of the Practices, we share the information you have provided with the respective Practice, and we use your Personal Information to assist the Practice in scheduling or rescheduling your appointment. The information you supply to us also is added to our customer database and may be used to send you communications regarding our Services or the Services of the Practices for which we provide various administrative services. These communications may be through emails, direct mailings, telephone calls, or text messages sent to your mobile device (with your consent where required by law). If you provide your Personal Information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your Personal Information to facilitate new or repeat product orders, including to send you prescription reminders on behalf of the Practices, or process returns.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Websites and Services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments, to confirm and communicate with you about appointments, Services, and to prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Websites, third-party sites, via mail, and via email or text message (with your consent where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Websites, Services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Websites and Services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your Personal Information.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about our users is among the assets transferred.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information to our third-party service providers for the business purposes described above:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records Personal Information categories.
- Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
- Category K: Inferences drawn from other Personal Information.
We use third-party service providers to provide certain services on our behalf. As part of their services to us, these service providers may have access to some or all of the data that we maintain, including transaction data and your Personal Information, but they are always required to maintain the confidentiality of information they receive from us and are restricted from using the information for any purposes other than those authorized by us.
In addition to third-party service providers, we share all of the categories of Personal Information we collect with government entities (if required by law or reasonably necessary to avoid harm).
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. We may retain your Personal Information for longer if it may be the subject of a legal claim, may otherwise be relevant for future litigation, or is subject to retention periods specified by applicable law.
When you visit our Websites or send us emails, you are communicating with us electronically. You consent to receive communications from us electronically. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. You grant us the right to continue to send such emails to you until you specifically notify us that you no longer wish to receive emails from us.
SMS/Text Messaging Terms and Conditions
Some of our store brands offer notifications (such as America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses Notifications or Eyeglass World Notifications), which consists of SMS/text and/or phone notifications to keep in touch with you, including to confirm appointments, inform you of your order status, relay product or other service notifications, and other informational based messages. Message frequency may vary. Text message and data rates may apply. You can reply STOP to cancel text messaging, or reply HELP for support.
Mobile Terms and Conditions
You may opt in to receiving notifications from certain of our store brands through your mobile device. Message frequency may vary. Message and data rates may apply. By opting into this service, you consent to receive text alerts at the phone number you provided. Consent to receive marketing text messages is not required as a condition of purchasing any goods or services.
By signing up for text alerts, you are confirming you are over the age of 13 years old.
Our supported carriers are:
AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile®, Verizon Wireless, Boost, Cricket, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Virgin Mobile, ACS Wireless, Appalachian Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, Carolina West Wireless, Cellcom, C-Spire Wireless (formerly Cellsouth), Cellular One of East Central Illinois, Cincinnati Bell Wireless, Cross (dba Sprocket), Duet IP, Element Mobile, EpicTouch, GCI Communications, Golden State, Hawkeye (Chat Mobility), Hawkeye (NW Missouri Cellular), Illinois Valley Cellular, Immix (Keystone Wireless / PC Management), Inland Cellular, iWireless, Mobi PCS (Coral Wireless LLC), Mosaic, MTPCS / Cellular One (Cellone Nation), Nex-Tech Wireless, nTelos, Panhandle Telecommunications, Peoples Wireless, Pioneer, Plateau, Revol Wireless, Rina - Custer, Rina - All West, Rina - Cambridge Telecom Coop, Rina - Eagle Valley Comm, Rina - Farmers Mutual Telephone Co, Rina - Nucla Nutria Telephone Co, Rina - Silver Star, Rina - South Central Comm, Rina - Syringa, Rina - UBET, Rina - Manti, South Canaan / CellularOne of NEPA, Thumb Cellular, Union Wireless, United, Viaero Wireless, West Central Wireless, Leaco, Nemont/Sagebrush. Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
To receive text message confirmations and reminders about your upcoming appointments from America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses, Eyeglass World, text JOIN to 72210 to receive text messages. If you need assistance or additional information, text HELP to 72210, or call us at 800-411-1162.
Opting Out of Communications
You may opt out of receiving (choose not to receive) some types of communications from us to you, such as future mailings (both email and direct mail), telephone calls or SMS/text messages. The processes by which you may communicate with us that you no longer want to receive communication from us are described below, and the specific opt-out process for that method of communication may also be identified in the communication you receive.
- For future emails, you may click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email you receive or call us at (800) 637-3597.
- For future direct mailings and telephone calls, you may call us at (800) 637-3597.
- For SMS/text notifications, you may opt out of receiving further text messages by:
- replying STOP to the text you receive, or
- by calling us at (800) 637-3597.
Your request to opt out of telephone calls and/or SMS/text messages will be recorded with your name and telephone number in our internal records. Your request to opt-out of emails and direct mails will be recorded with your name, email address, and physical address in our internal records. We will process opt out requests within a reasonable time. It may take up to 30 days to process your requests related to direct mailings, text notifications, and telephone calls and up to 10 days to process your requests related to email. You are not required to consent to receive emails, direct mailings, or telephone calls as a condition of purchase. Please note that direct mailings are often prepared many weeks in advance, and you may continue to receive mail for 6 to 10 weeks. Please also note that, even if you opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes, such as for customer service, exam appointment reminders, or product recalls. We also may need to contact you with questions or information regarding any exams you have had or orders you have placed.
Some of our Websites or store brands may have specific procedures for you to follow to opt out of electronic or mail communications. Below is a list of the contact information and procedures to follow to opt out of electronic or mail communications for those Websites or store brands:
- To opt out of certain emails and direct mail from America’s Best Contacts and Eyeglasses, you may:
- Call us at 800-999-4758, or
- Email us at [email protected].
- To opt out of text messages regarding scheduled appointments from America’s Best Contacts and Eyeglasses orEyeglass World, you may text STOP to 72210. Please note you will receive a confirmation text that your phone number has been unenrolled.
- To opt out of certain emails and direct mail from Eyeglass World or Vista Optical in select Fred Meyer stores and on select military exchanges, you may call us at 800-637-3597.
- To opt out of certain emails and direct mail from discountglasses.com, you may:
- To opt out of certain emails and direct mail from discountcontactlenses.com, you may:
- To opt out of certain emails and direct mail from aclens.com, you may:
Sale of Personal Information
Contests and Drawings
We may sponsor or host contests or drawings from time to time. Some contests may be offered in conjunction with a third-party sponsor, and you will be notified at the time of the contest as to whether a third-party sponsor is involved and whether the third-party sponsor will be receiving your Personal Information to send promotional communications or for other purposes. You have the ability to choose whether or not to enter the contest at that time based on the terms and conditions associated with that particular contest. Please read all terms and conditions carefully before making your choice.
Links to Third Party Web Sites
We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our Websites in addition to other endorsements. With your consent, we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you may contact us at [email protected].
We may verify your prescription information provided with your order with your doctor or eye-care provider as required by federal law. For more information about your Protected Health Information, please see our HIPAA Notice.
We have implemented appropriate physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to safeguard and prevent unauthorized access to, maintain data security of, and correctly use the Personal Information we collect online. Please note that there is risk involved in using the Internet. Thus, our goal is to provide a reasonable level of security based on general industry standards. We therefore recommend that you use every precaution to protect your Personal Information when using the Internet and any other links.
All transactions occur through our secure server, protected by a DigiCert® Secure Site Certificate. That means that we use encryption to secure Personal Information sent from your computer to our servers. In addition, credit card numbers and other sensitive information are encrypted in our database(s) to provide a second layer of security for your Personal Information. When credit card information is transmitted online, we use Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”) server software to prevent unauthorized access to the information. SSL is a highly sophisticated method of scrambling data as it travels from your computer to our Website servers. You can identify the secure connection by looking for a locked padlock icon at the lower portion of your browser window or on the left side of the URL in the address/search bar.
Our Websites and Services are not directed to children under the age of 16 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children. No one under age 16 may provide any Personal Information on our Websites. It is our policy not to knowingly solicit or permit children under the age of 16 to provide their Personal Information for any purpose. In accordance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”) and our internal policies, if a person under age 16 submits information to us through any part of our Websites, and we know that the person submitting information is under age 16, we will not use it for any purpose. We will delete the information as soon as we discover it, and we will not disclose it to third parties. If you are under the age of 16, please do not use our Websites and our Services.
Your Rights and Choices About Your Personal Information
Updating Your Information
If you ever need to update or delete any Personal Information on file with us, you may call us at (800) 637-3597 or email us at [email protected]. If you need to update your Personal Information when re-ordering, you will have a chance to make changes to your payment information, shipping, and billing address(es) at checkout.
Your California Privacy Rights – California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The following rights apply only to California residents:
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
We do not disclose Personal Information to any third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
In addition, under California law, website operators are required to disclose how they respond to web browser 'do not track' signals or other similar mechanisms that provide users with the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of Personal Information of a user over time and across third-party websites, to the extent the operator engages in that collection. We do not respond to any such 'do not track' signals, as no one ‘do not track’ standard has gained consensus.
California law also requires website operators to disclose whether third parties may collect Personal Information about their users' online activities over time and across different websites when the users use the operator's website. We do not knowingly permit third parties to collect Personal Information about an individual user's online activities over time and across different websites when a user uses our Websites.
Third parties that have content embedded on our Websites (such as social networking features) may set cookies on a user's browser and/or obtain information about the fact that a web browser visited our Websites from a certain IP address. These third parties cannot collect any other Personal Information from our Websites unless you provide it to them directly.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see "Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights"), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by:
Only you, or a person or a business entity that is registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf (“Authorized Agent”), may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You (or your Authorized Agent) may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an Authorized Agent.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
In some instances, we may ask you to provide other documentation to verify your identity. If this happens, we will contact you directly with this request. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. If we cannot verify your identity with a high degree of certainty, we may only be able to provide a report with category-level information and we may not be able to delete some of your Personal Information.
- Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
- We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Authorized Agents use the same process as described above to submit requests. Authorized Agents must provide a power of attorney or other documentation demonstrating their authority to submit a request on your behalf, as well as providing sufficient information to verify your identity.
Please note that if you or your Authorized Agent submit a request over the phone, you (or your authorized agent) must also email your forms to [email protected] within 15 days of the request submission.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your California privacy rights under the CCPA. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Please know that if you ask us to delete your Personal Information, or you exercise your right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information, it may impact your experience with us, and you may not be able to participate in certain programs or services which require usage of your Personal Information to function.
Your California Privacy Rights – Shine the Light
The following rights apply to California residents.
We share Personal Information with other businesses with our affiliates. You may ask us for more information about this sharing and whether it affects you directly by contacting us at the address below. See “How Do We Use and Share Personal Information?” for more information.
National Vision, Inc.
2435 Commerce Avenue NW
Duluth, GA 30096